Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Coconut Joys (Recipe Included)


I have been busy making cookies for a dear friend's wedding. This is Pittsburgh. We have tons and tons of homemade cookies at weddings :) She has requested thumbprints, but I also decided to make some coconut joys which taste just like Mounds candy bars.

As I have said before, I love making cookies. These cookies are especially easy because they do not require baking. I do not love coconut, but I do love these cookies. They are simply delicious. I could just sit and eat a whole plateful of them. I believe the original recipe called for making indentations in them and filling them with melted bittersweet chocolate. I just use the bigger size Ghirardelli bittersweet chips and push it into the center. (See recipe below.) You can buy these chips in a three pound bag for around $9.00 at Sam's Club. These are a staple at my house. I use these in so many recipes.

In Pittsburgh, it is traditional to have cookies at weddings. We have tables and tables filled with old fashioned, homemade cookies. No one knows how this tradition got started. Many credit the Italian and Eastern European immigrants who wanted to incorporate their heritage. It was like bringing some of the Old Country into the New World on the big day. You can find these unassuming cookie tables at even the fanciest weddings here in Pittsburgh.

Coconut Joys
1/2 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
3 cups (8 oz) sweetened flaked coconut
Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips (if you are unable to find these, you could use semisweet, but most mega-marts do carry them.)

Melt butter. Add coconut and powdered sugar. Mix well. Scoop into bite size pieces and drop on wax paper. (I use my smallest cookie scoop.) Press one of the chocolate chips on top. Chill until firm. Store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment