Monday, September 6, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

We were going to an outdoor camping party last night for Labor Day. Again, I didn't know what to make. Michael suggested that I make cookies. They were truly the perfect thing to make. Cookies are easy and mess free to eat. No need for plates and utensils. Plus, I knew there would be kids there, and what kid doesn't like cookies? I decided on good old fashioned chocolate chip cookies and M&M cookies. I will save the M&M cookies for a later date though...



I truly love chocolate chip cookies. Mmmm, a warm delicious chocolate chip cookie. It doesn't get much better than that. I made them with milk chocolate chips for something different. Here is a great tip for those of you who love warm cookies as much as I do: only bake a dozen or two when you make the dough. When I make chocolate chip cookie dough just for us, I only ever bake about a dozen. We certainly don't need to eat more than that :) Then, I scoop the remaining dough as I would to bake them. I line them up on a cookie sheet and freeze them. When they are frozen, I transfer them to a freezer bag. Then you can pull out some frozen cookies any time you are craving a warm gooey cookie or if you have some unexpected company. I love having some cookie dough in my freezer.

Chocolate chip cookies were developed accidentally by Ruth Graves Wakefield in 1933. She owned the Toll House Inn in Whitman, Massachusetts. The restaurant was extremely popular, not just for its home style meals, but also because her policy was to send a whole extra entrée home with her patrons along with her homemade cookies for dessert. It is said that Wakefield was making chocolate cookies, and upon running out of baking chocolate, she substituted broken pieces of semi-sweet chocolate from Nestle. She thought it would melt and mix into the batter. It did not and the chocolate chip cookie was born. Wakefield sold the recipe to Nestle in exchange for a lifetime supply of chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment