Sunday, July 3, 2011

A&P Spanish Bar Cake


It was my dad's birthday a few weeks ago. He never wants us to buy anything for him, so I always try to bake him something special. He and my mom have been talking for years about something called A&P Spanish Bar Cake. My parents loved this cake that was once available at A&P stores. However, it is kinda difficult to recreate something that you have never tasted!

I decided to google A&P Spanish Bar Cake. Lo and behold, my parents are not the only ones who wish that they could eat this cake again. There are tons of postings about this cake online, along with many, many recipes. Since I didn't know what the cake tasted like, I just had to sort of pick and choose recipes. Apparently it was a very moist spice cake with raisins and a creamy white icing. The recipe that I chose for the cake had applesauce in it which made the cake extremely moist. Also, I soaked the raisins in water until they were plump before adding them to the batter. I have to say that the cake on its own was super yummy (minus the raisins) and very, very moist. I think that the cake would have been better with a cream cheese icing, but that's not what the original had. It was a pretty basic buttercream that I chose to use. My parents were very happy with it and said that it was almost exactly like the original, except that my icing was better :)

If you want to make a lower fat version of your cake, use applesauce instead of oil. It makes for a very moist cake and even lends a little bit of sweetness to your product. Be careful not to over do it though. Too much applesauce will make for a very dense, heavy cake. Start small by just substituting a small amount of applesauce

No comments:

Post a Comment