Friday, April 8, 2011

Sour Cream Coffee Cake


In my MOMS Club, we have breakfast bunch once a month. This month we were meeting at someone's house and having a potluck breakfast. These are always my favorite because the kids can get down and play while the moms can (kind of) enjoy their breakfast in peace. I always try to see what everyone else is making before I decide what to take. I often end up making a quiche or something savory instead of something sweet because everyone signs up for sweets. This month, I was able to make a coffee cake. I tried a new recipe, and it was really tasty.

I really like breakfast sweets. Donuts, muffins, quick breads, cinnamon rolls, coffee cakes. It doesn't matter. I love them all. I decided to just make a pretty straight forward sour cream coffee cake. The recipe called for a tube pan, but I could not find my tube pan anywhere, so I used a pretty bundt pan. I just made sure that I generously greased and floured the pan so that the cake would come out easily. There was a streusel that went in the middle and on top of the batter. After the cake was cooled, I made a simple glaze of powdered sugar and real maple syrup and added enough water to make it pourable. It really was perfect with a hot cup of coffee.

Coffee cake is a class of cakes meant to be eaten with coffee. They do not necessarily contain coffee. Coffee cakes are most often flavored with cinnamon, nuts and fruits. They often have a crumb filling and/or topping (streusel) and a glaze drizzle. It was not until the late 19th century that the term "coffee cake" became a common term. Up until that point, "tea cakes" were much more common.

No comments:

Post a Comment